It’s beginning to look a lot like Rootstech and you can be a part of the in-person experience with the RootsTech 2023 Free Pass Giveaway. With Christmas—my favorite time of year—coming to a screeching halt, I’m so happy that we have this fabulous family history conference to look forward to.
It’s not quite the same as pre-COVID, but different might even be better.
You can choose how to attend, In-person or virtually.
FamilySearch is not going to abandon the virtual RootsTech experience, but they’re also putting on an in-person event in Salt Lake City. The conference takes place 2-4 March 2023 in Salt Lake City.
The in-person registration includes all the virtual elements plus,
- 180+ in-person class sessions with Q&As
- In-person research help at the FamilySearch Library
- Connect with friends and cousins in person
- Hands-on sponsor demonstrations in the expo hall
- Experience Salt Lake City
Why Attend In-Person aka Why Enter my RootsTech 2023 Free Pass Giveaway
No shade meant on the virtual option. It is a great social, networking, and educational opportunity. However, in my opinion, in-person is better!
- It is easier to meet other family historians, some of which will become great friends
- There is something about the RootsTech atmosphere that energizes you for months and months to come
- You can approach speakers and ask questions
- It’s fun to see friends from other years
- The Family History Library is in Salt Lake City and they have extra staff during RootsTech to help you with your research
- You get all the benefits of a virtual pass
- The mountains are beautiful
Shortly after RootsTech 2020, I wrote The Story of Me: Reflections on RootsTech 2020 (SLC). Besides being an interesting take less than two weeks before the world shut down, it gives you a taste of the inspiration you can feel after attending.
For a full discussion of the in-person versus virtual pros and cons, see this weeks’ GenFriends episode (I’ll update this with a link on Wednesday).
Why this year might be the best year to start with RootsTech (in-person)
- It’s three days rather than two. While in my mind, that’s less of a good thing, it also translates into less time off work and away from family commitments, one less night in a hotel, etc.
- The 2023 experience will be a little less overwhelming in the number of people and classes. (Of course, the price reflects that.)
- With less crowds, you’ll get more face-time with vendors in the expo hall or with speakers in the classrooms.
RootsTech 2023 Free Pass Giveaway
Here’s the skinny on the RootsTech 2023 free pass giveaway:
RootsTech has given each ambassador aka “influencer” one complimentary IN-PERSON RootsTech 2023 3-day pass ($98 value) to give away to one of their lucky subscribers or followers during the month of January. (If it’s successful, there might be a February giveaway, so please spread the word!)
This Free Pass includes the following:
– Access to all on-site classes
– Keynote / General sessions
– Expo Hall
If the winner has already purchased a pass, RootsTech will provide a refund.
NOTE: This pass giveaway does not include transportation costs (airfare, car, etc.), hotel costs, computer labs (these are additional add-ons), meals (including banquets and luncheons), printed syllabus, paid workshops.
Full disclosure: RootsTech’s sponsor, FamilySearch, also give its influencers perks at RootsTech, like a free pass and VIP seating. We do NOT, however, receive a commission on passes sold.
Update: The contest has been closed. Using RafflePress, I have selected a winner.
You can enter multiple #Rootstech Free Pass contests!
Every influencer has the opportunity to run a giveaway. Check out Carolina Girl Genealogy (link coming soon) and A Genealogist in the Archives. You can also look for giveaways on social media using #Rootstech and #Giveaway.
Before you go, can you do me a quick favor?
This year’s RootsTech theme is “Uniting.” I’d love to know what that means to each of you. Please leave a comment below.
I hope I see you in Salt Lake City in March.